Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Custard Apple from Our Roof Garden

Custard Apple from Our Roof Garden

I fly away to the north-east, "far from the madding crowd" of our capital city whenever I have the time and opportunity. Here the sky is bigger and bluer, the air is fresh and life is slower. I can spend some time in our roof garden and can talk to the plants nostalgically about the time that will never come back. Yes, I can talk to them, if you can talk to your dog! Why not? There are stories that they know and I know. There are new members in our garden, too, like this custard apple tree! The seeds were collected from Chittorgarh in Rajasthan, from the garden of the historical site where Queen Padmini and other ladies of the royal court committed suicide by burning themselves in order to save themselves (what an irony) from getting raped by the conquering enemy, King Alauddin Khilji and his army.
This was my healthy raw vegan evening snack. We call it "Ata" in Bengali. the "t" in "ata" is a dental sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment