Pages

Friday, September 14, 2018

Rice and Red Lentil with French Beans, Cauliflower and Carrot


I soaked rice and musur dal (red lentil) for half an hour. In the meantime I cut the vegetables. The quantity of vegetables was double of that of rice and dal since I want to lose weight 😬. I put everything in a pressure cooker and added salt, black pepper powder, garam masala and cooked it for 8 whistles. But depending on the rice you might have to turn the burner off after 5 whistles. I poured a few drops of mustard oil just before serving. When you don't cook it in a pressure cooker, first start with water in a pot, add musur dal as the water starts boiling. After a few minutes, some foam may start accumulating above the water. Take that out from the top with a wide spoon and throw away. Now add the rice and the vegetables, add the spices and cook until it is thoroughly done. Now add salt and mix well. Don't add mustard oil if you are not familiar with the flavour. 1. You can also replace musur Dal with some other lentil of your choice. I often make it with mug Dal (then you don't have to worry about the foam.). Also, I think when the musur dal is produced with not much chemical/ already very clean the foam might not accumulate. 2. If you use a type of rice that doesn't cook very fast, add it in the beginning with the dal. Mug Dal cooks faster. I sometimes make it with mug Dal and basamati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment