Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Pointed Gourd in Mustard Gravy

Does morning really show the day? Does it? Always? I hope not. Not today!
Yesterday I didn't eat anything after breakfast at 09:00 a.m. I didn't feel well and had no appetite! In the evening I had some fruits only.

Dinner last night!
So, this morning I was dying of hunger. I decided to prepare shorshe bata diye patol ("pointed gourd with mustard paste"). I started cooking and within a few minutes the gas was over. Here is my pointed gourd in mustard gravy, only half cooked!


What to do?! I've kept it in the fridge. I hope, the caretaker will replace the cylinder soon and I will be able to finish cooking it then! Now I'm so hungry and sleepy and tired! At the moment I can just share the recipe with you. 
Peel the gourds leaving some skin here and there. Then slice each into two halves along its length. In a small bowl make a thick paste of mustard- and turmeric powder. Nowadays we buy small packets of mustard powder but the best flavour is guaranteed when you make mustard seed paste at home. But remember, then you have to separate the skin from the mustard. It's a little difficult. You make the paste (may be in a mixer-grinder) and pour some water in it and brown skin gets separated and accumulated at the bottom of the bowl. From above you carefully take the watery golden yellow liquid that is the mustard paste plus water and you add this to your vegetables. However, I prefer using ready made mustard powder and easily make a paste of it just by adding a little water.

For seasoning you will need mustard oil, fresh green chilies, sliced, and nigella seeds. By the way, I didn't add green chilies this time. Heat up the oil and add the nigella seeds and the chillies. Add the gourds and stir and mix. Let it cook for some time stirring every now and then. Add the paste of mustard and turmeric and mix everything well. Add water. Add salt. Let it cook till the gourds are thoroughly cooked. 
Serve with steamed rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment