Pages

Friday, August 21, 2020

ওলকপি / Kohlrabi Curry

 

One of my favourite winter vegetables  is Kohlrabi or, in Bengali language, ওলকপি. 

ওলকপি/Kohlrabi

I don't eat hot and spicy food very often but I do love a spicy curry of kohlrabi with a little potato and fresh peas, garnished with fresh coriander leaves.

I prepared this in last winter while hiding in my own apartment as Mom visited my sister. It was not very spicy. (Why hiding ? That's not a food story but a long story which I hope to tell the world one day.)

This is how the vegetables should be cut: in small cubes. 


Cumin Seed and Turmeric Paste

I made everything from scratch. That's how I usually do it. And I thoroughly enjoy it. Cooking is a great stress buster for me. 

To prepare this dish I begin with sautéeing the potato in heated oil. After a few minutes the sides of the potato pieces starts changing colour. Then I add the seasoning: sliced green chilli, cumin seeds and one or two bay leaves and add the kohlrabi. I stir and sauté a little and add the paste of spices and mix very well stirring it several times. I let it cook like this but keep an eye and stir from time to time so that it doesn't burn. Then I add salt and mix well. Now I add water and the peas and cover the pot. Until now it was medium flame. The water starts boiling and I reduce the flame and let it cook until all the vegetables are thoroughly cooked. I add fresh coriander leaves, shredded, at the end.

If you want you can add garam masala powder at the end. It's perfectly all right to cook this with powdered spices instead of the paste. And black pepper powder can also add a really nice flavour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment