Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Jhaal Suji -- Spicy Semolina



I often cook a dish and take its photo and upload it here and even then I don't post the recipe because I don't have time. I cooked this a few weeks ago, if not months, and then it remained in the draft status forever.
Finally I am writing again and here is how you can prepare it.
Heat oil and sautée small pieces of potato in it. When they turn golden add shredded onion. You can also use carrots and beans and completely get rid of potato as an ingredient. It is a very versatile dish and you have a lot of freedom as a cook. Only sautée the vegetables in the beginning.
After the onion is glazed, add green chilies, red chilli if you want, cumin seeds and stir and mix. You can add a bay leaf to the seasoning, too. My mother always use it. I also do, if I have it. But it is not always available where I live.
Add a little turmeric powder, salt and a little cumin powder to the vegetables and mix well. Now add wayer. After adding water I add some frozen peas and some ground nuts that I have already soaked for hours. But as I have already mentioned, you can use ingredients of your choice. Use something you can eat without any problems.
As the vegetables are thoroughly cooked, add the semolina. There should be some water left at this point. The vegetables should not be totally dry. After you add the semolina, stir constantly while it gets cooked. It cooks really quickly. Stirring is required to ensure that everything is mixed well and the semolina is not stuck to the bottom of the container.
It is an easy and filling dish.

Note: Today (20/7/2018) I again prepared this for breakfast for my parents and myself. So, I am uploading some more photos here.





No comments:

Post a Comment