Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Rice with Peas

I had a difficult day today. Didn't sleep last night well. There is a rat inside the room. Agghh..! Disgusting! As usual, got up very early today when my roomate was getting ready and tried to sleep as soon as she left at about 06:30 a.m. but woke up again and about 08:30. Was half asleep lying lazy till about 11:30 and then got wide awake when I realised that the air conditioner was no longer working and I started sewating profusely. it is already close to 40 degree celcius here. There was no electricity. So, there was no wifi, no drinking water, no lights, no way to charge the phone and call the landlord. And there was no motivation to cook.
 I left the house frustrated, walked up to our ladlord's office a few hundred metres away, paid the rent and informed him about the power cut.
 Then I left for some work. On my way home later in the evening I picked some frozen peas -- for a change because I always buy the fresh ones from the local market --  as I went to the supermarket to get a particular brand of mustard oil and some rice. While entering our building, I enquired with a neighbour and found out that they had electricity.                              Tired, hungry having eaten not a single grain of rice since my dinner last night, drenched in sweat and exhausted in this merciless Indian summer, I made this super quick, super easy one pot rice dish to rescue myself from starvation and collapsing.       
      I poured some frozen peas in luke warm water in a big bowl and chopped one tomato. I heated some mustard oil in my pressure cooker until it reached its smoking point and added about a half of a teaspoon cumin seeds and 4 small dried red chilies into it. This is my seasoning. I removed the seeds of those chillies. I always do that. Now I added the tomato into the oil and stirred a little. I added the peas now and then, a little turmeric powder, goda masala powder (optional), coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder and stirred to mix well. I added salt now and let it cook on a low flame. In the meantime I quickly rinsed basmati rice with filtered water and then added that too. When I have time, I always soak the rice for about half an hour.                                                                   I mixed all the ingredients together and now added coconut milk in it. No recipe of peas pulao /peas-fried-rice really asks you to add coconut milk but recently I have got so fascinated by it, after cooking caulCaulifl with it recently, the recipe of which I am going to post soon, that I wanted it in my rice too. But it is completely optional. I added a little jaggery (I have stopped eating sugar a few years ago.) And closed the lid. After eight whistles, my meal, my first meal of the day, was ready. I had it at 18:37 p.m. Electricity came back in the meantime. The caretaker told us over phone that somebody turned off the main switch. I don't know how that is even possible because the main switch cannot be so easily accessible. I was however, too tired to check it personally. Will do that tomorrow, but not before having the left-over rice as breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment